The history of Moore’s can be traced to Moses Mount, who lived in the original structure which now serves as our tavern. Moses was an aide to General Washington during the Revolutionary War. Upon his return to his beloved Freehold, Moses began operating a tavern in his home, at this location, for the local gentry and an inn for weary travelers. According to an order of the Monmouth County court of Quarter Sessions, dated April 25th, 1787, Moses was granted a “continued license” for “keeping a public house of entertainment.” The date of the earliest license was granted to Moses has not been determined.
Moses was a colorful and cheerful rogue. According to the Historical and Genealogical Miscellany of Monmouth County, written by Dr. John E. Stillwell (Higgins Book Co. 1932), Moses was a “lover of fast horses and a great rider of race horses.” Although county officials found Moses to be a man of good repute, honesty and temperance, Moses may have run afoul of the law. An order of the same court of Quarter Sessions, Dated April 22, 1800, required Moses to provide lodging only to men, stabling to horses and to prohibit any type of gambling.
The present tavern has been carefully restored and demonstrates early American building techniques. The tavern beams reveal the original tool markings of the time. Please join with us in a celebration of good times as so many other great Americans have for over two centuries.